Sunday, October 01, 2006

Where the "big stuff" is

Mission: To discover, interpret, and disseminate - through scientific research and education - knowledge about human cultures, the natural world, and the universe.

In 1871 The American Museum of Natural History mounted its first exhibit in the Central Park Arsenal. Within one year, the institution had outgrown its home at the Arsenal and was busily engaged in building a bigger facility.

One hundred and thirty-five years later, the Museum is still expanding, adding new halls, exhibits and laboratories. The current facilities include 45 permanent exhibition halls spread across 25 interconnected buildings all located on 18 acres across the street from Central Park.

Regardless of the latest additions, for many people the museum will always be the place where the "big stuff" is -- the monumental, the outlandish, the extraordinary all lie within these stone walls.

Whether you are on your first visit or your thousandth, at some point a trip to the Museum will make you stop in your tracks, look up in awe and say, "Wow!"


The five-story tall Barosaurus at the main entrance Posted by Picasa


A 300 foot wide slice from Giant Sequoia tree Posted by Picasa


The 94 foot long blue whale Posted by Picasa

  • American Museum of Natural History

  • Barosaurus

  • Giant Sequoia

  • The Hall of Ocean Life
  • 2 Comments:

    At 10/05/2006 02:45:00 AM, Blogger kostas said...

    American people have the power and opportunity to learn and discover many things.
    I love these places,museums,galleries,universities and all about knowledge.
    Regards from Thessaloniki

     
    At 10/05/2006 09:50:00 AM, Blogger RWW said...

    Hi anulla. Your blog-sites are wonderful. I wanted to thank you for leaving a comment on my humble blog, "The Cowboy at Work". Just wanted to let you know that I am not an attorney - I just pick up a lot of legal knowledge in my day-to-day business operations.

    I guess you can now say you know a former "cowboy" in Montana, but I am really just a former ranch hand. I grew up on a cattle ranch NNW of Helena. During my college days, I'd help my dad out during the summers. Anytime you plan to come to Montana, give me a "holler" on my blog. BTW, my sister lives in Fair Haven, NJ. I went to visit her a couple of years ago and had the opportunity to take the ferry over to Manhattan. I had a great time. Most everyone was hospitable and very nice. Well, gotta run. Take care.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home