Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Rink and the Ring

At this time of year I'm always of two minds regarding midtown Manhattan: I'm anxious to see the fabulous, elaborate holiday decorations but I also want to stay far away from the hectic, bustling crowds that overflow the shops and stores and make the sidewalks impassable.

This evening I was in midtown, only a few blocks from Rockefeller Center, when I decided to take a short detour and get a quick look at its legendary massive Christmas tree (currently an 88-foot tall Norway spruce from western Connecticut) and fabled ice skating rink.

I slowly waded through the masses in the Channel Gardens that lead from Fifth Avenue to the holiday display, snapped a few photos of the tree, and moved forward towards the skating rink. Despite the patient, smiling security guards, the throng around the railing was at least 12 deep and many were trying to push and plead their way to the front ("We came all the way from India for this!" "We flew here from Texas just to see the ice rink!" "Please let my sick little boy through to see the skaters!").

I extricated myself from the crush and started to walk towards the subways when I saw a spot, right near the elevator, where relatively few people stood. I headed there and squeezed in between a large family from Connecticut, another from Russia and an excited group from Italy.

As I leaned towards the railing to take some photos, the surrounding crowd jostled me and I concentrated more on keeping my balance than watching the action on the ice. When I looked up, I noticed an attractive young couple standing stock still in the middle of the ice. I took a couple of shots of them, a few more photos of the crowd in the rink, and left.

When I got home and looked through the images I'd taken, I realized what I'd inadvertently captured. Since they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll let the photos (sorry for the poor quality) tell the story of the boy with the blond hair, the girl with the pink scarf, the rink and the ring.


The 88 foot tall tree at Rockefeller Center  Posted by Picasa


Looking onto the skating rink Posted by Picasa


The ice is crowded Posted by Picasa


A couple skates to the center of the rink Posted by Picasa


He drops down on one knee Posted by Picasa


The clinch; looks like she said "yes" Posted by Picasa


He presents the ring Posted by Picasa


They don't even notice the gathering spectators Posted by Picasa


They skate off as the crowd applauds Posted by Picasa

The Rink at Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
WNBC's Tree-Cam

17 Comments:

At 12/06/2006 04:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody does Christmas like NY and I could hardly wait for the page to load to see your photos.

But what you captured ... so sweet,
so New York.

 
At 12/06/2006 05:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, that is adorable! I can't believe you got those shots by accident. Wow.

 
At 12/06/2006 05:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so cool. Wouldn't it be fun if you had some way to get the pictures to them. You would be part of family history!!

That's one of the best shots of the tree I've seen this year!!

Someday, I'll see New York, the tree, everything. Until then, I'm glad I have you to show me.

 
At 12/06/2006 06:35:00 PM, Blogger annulla said...

Wren, the Internet is a mysterious place; if enough people see the photos, perhaps someone who knows the couple will find their way here. Stranger things have happened.

 
At 12/06/2006 06:59:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's so great! Through all of the busy, bustling crowds, and crazed shoppers/tourists, something pure and wonderful was taking place in that very moment. I love it! And thanks for your comments on my blog - glad you like that new painting!

 
At 12/06/2006 10:09:00 PM, Blogger Jo said...

That's so beautiful. New York City is my second favorite city in the world, next to Paris. I would love to live in New York, especially at Christmas time.

Those are great photos.

Cheers,
Josie

 
At 12/07/2006 12:24:00 AM, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Some times the quality of the photos doesn't mean as much as the subject of the photos. Excellent moment captured in time!

 
At 12/07/2006 07:57:00 AM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, and I am glad that I stopped by. This is a great story, and the fact that you captured it in photographs is phenomenal! Love the photo of the tree. Christmas in New York City is wild! I remember going there for three of four days right before Christmas, it must have been in 2002 or so, and you could not even get into Macy's.

 
At 12/07/2006 08:05:00 AM, Blogger June said...

I wonder if they will ever find out that their special moment was captured.
Magical... thanks for sharing.

 
At 12/07/2006 09:28:00 AM, Blogger pjt3ket said...

Perfectly put by so many that posted..simply magical!!! Thanks for sharing

 
At 12/07/2006 02:33:00 PM, Blogger photowannabe said...

What a Christmas present. Magical candid shots. I got a lump in my throat looking at them.

 
At 12/07/2006 04:14:00 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

I have never been to NY, but this is the kind of story i like to hear. it seem the city breeds these moments. but then again, my projection of what NY is all about could be only what I have been allowed to see. These pictures are beautiful.

Thanks for your comment, by the way.

 
At 12/08/2006 02:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics. It must feel a whole lot more like Christmas in New York than it does here in Bangkok.

 
At 12/08/2006 04:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really great pictures but where is the link to Brians Light Show? :-D

 
At 12/12/2006 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Paul said...

What a great sequence to capture on camera.

 
At 12/12/2006 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Paul said...

What a great sequence to capture on camera.

 
At 12/12/2006 12:46:00 PM, Blogger Paul said...

What a great sequence to capture on camera.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home