Monday, October 09, 2006

Strawberry Fields Forever

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Had he not been killed by Mark David Chapman in 1980, this would have been his 66th birthday. Today his admirers gathered at Strawberry Fields, the teardrop-shaped space in Central Park created as a memorial, to remember John Lennon.

Throughout the day, dozens of musicians brought their instruments to the circular black and white mosaic that says, simply, Imagine. There, accompanied by fans from around the world, they sang and played in honor of the man, his music and his memory.


Imagine mosaic Posted by Picasa


Musicians gather at Strawberry Fields Posted by Picasa


Fans sing along Posted by Picasa


Imagine - click on the arrow above to view

  • Central Park Conservancy: Strawberry Fields

  • John Lennon: Official Site
  • 9 Comments:

    At 10/16/2006 01:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was four when John Lennon died. I will never forget watching my mother and her reaction to the news. She sat on the floor and listened to his music and cried. I didn't understand a lot about what was going on, but I knew something important had happened.

    Lovely pictures.

     
    At 10/16/2006 03:54:00 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

    You've got a lovely blog; reading through your entries makes me wish that I lived in New York.

    The rooftop photos you posted a few entries back are gorgeous and surreal. Gardens in the sky!

     
    At 10/17/2006 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Johnny Yen said...

    I was living in Salt Lake City when Lennon was killed. I was in the midst of a year off of school working, and had been planning to go to school out there. I moved back to Chicago after three months.

    I was living with three grad students (I was 19). We were all devasted. Nothing was ever said, but we only played Beatles and John Lennon on the stereo for the next week. Yoko had asked for a few minutes silence at a certain time the following Sunday. Again, nothing was ever discussed, but we observed the silence together. I really would have liked to grow old with John. Still miss him.

     
    At 10/19/2006 12:06:00 PM, Blogger tallulah said...

    Beautiful.

     
    At 10/19/2006 02:07:00 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

    I remember that day so well. I was living in Hawaii at the time and it seemed so surreal. You just couldn't believe such a horrid thing happened. I felt so horribly sorry for his children. My daughter was just a month old. I grew up with the Beatles. It is like they were just there, a part of your life. Thanks for a nice tribute!

     
    At 10/19/2006 02:09:00 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

    Oh, I have a load of relatives in NY. My Dad is from Brooklyn and my eldest son recently moved to NYC. Small world!

     
    At 10/19/2006 10:46:00 PM, Blogger pjt3ket said...

    wonderful tribute!! i was only 2 when it happened so i don't remember it but i have read a lot about it!

    by the way my brother lives right down from the smiley face in your previous post.

     
    At 10/28/2006 11:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow that is so special they have a celebration that day. my mom grew up in ny and saw john and yoko near central park once. also i have done the liverpool tour. i love the beatles :) -joyfulsweeps

     
    At 10/28/2006 11:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow that is so special they have a celebration that day. my mom grew up in ny and saw john and yoko near central park once. also i have done the liverpool tour. the beatles were the bestest :) -joyfulsweeps

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home