Saturday, June 10, 2006

Romance and Anti-romance

Two brief encounters near the main branch of the New York Public Library today left me wondering about romance in this city.

First, on the 42nd Street side of the library was a scene that should have been in a movie - an old Checker cab was parked in the right lane, blocking traffic, while a photographer hurriedly shot images of a gloriously gorgeous newlywed couple. At first glance they appeared to be models posing for (perhaps) a bridal magazine, but the scene lacked all the accoutrements of a professional photo shoot; there were no stylists, no makeup artists, no assistants - just a perfectly beautiful pair in a perfectly dramatic setting on a perfectly beautiful day.

Secondly, a sign pasted inside a phone booth on the 5th Avenue side of the library. As I passed the booth, I caught a glimpse, took a few more steps and stopped. Had I really seen that? I went back for a photo of what is possibly the most anti-romantic image ever.

So ... is New York one of the most romantic cities in the world or the one of the least? How do this sign and this couple exist on the same block? In the same city? In the same universe?


Stopping traffic on 42nd Street Posted by Picasa


A big clinch Posted by Picasa

Sign pasted inside phone booth (WARNING: not for the queasy).

  • New York Public Library

  • Checker Taxi Stand
  • 4 Comments:

    At 6/11/2006 08:05:00 PM, Blogger Lady Z said...

    How come I never find stuff like that in public phone booths?

    You're now officially in the running for posting The Funniest Thing I Have Seen on the Internet...

     
    At 6/11/2006 11:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There's revenge and there's that ! WOW.

     
    At 6/12/2006 09:34:00 AM, Blogger Phelan said...

    HA! City folk...

    ;)

     
    At 6/13/2006 08:13:00 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

    First of all, I'm hysterical over that sign. That is something you'd never see in KY!

    That picture of that couple was absolutely charming. :)

    You know, you make my heart ache for NY. I can't wait to come back. It only took one trip and NY had my heart. I've traveled so many places, but only two have done that. Beijing, China and NYC.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home