Sunday, September 18, 2005

Broadway on Broadway

Today the 14th edition of Broadway on Broadway was held in Times Square. This free event features some of Broadway's best: hit numbers from nearly every musical now on the Great White Way, including performances from some shows that haven't yet opened (The Color Purple, Sweeney Todd, In My Life) and one from a show that will close later this week (Lennon).

The logistics are daunting, involving the closing of several of midtown Manhattan's busiest blocks to traffic, the erection of an enormous stage and the installation of an extensive sound and video system. Television stars John Lithgow and Christina Applegate, currently appearing in, respectively, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Sweet Charity, hosted the event.

Featured shows included All Shook Up, Avenue Q, Beauty and the Beast, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Hairspray, Lennon, The Light in the Piazza, The Lion King, Mamma Mia!, The Producers, Rent, Sweet Charity, Sweeney Todd, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and Wicked.

Representatives of various businesses strolled behind the police barriers distributing free souvenirs to the crowd, including paper fans, newspapers and CDs. The day was gorgeous, the singing was fabulous, the dancing amazing and the spectators enthralled. Darlene Love, currently appearing in Hairspray, had her first hit record (He's a Rebel) more than 40 years ago and her soaring voice has lost none of its power. Her soulful, stirring rendition of "I Know Where I've Been" made her the brightest light on Broadway today.

There's a light
In the darkness
Though the night
Is black as my skin
There's a light
Burning bright
Showing me the way
But I know where I've been

There's a cry
In the distance
It's a voice
That comes from deep within
There's a cry
Asking why
I pray the answer's up ahead
'Cause I know where I've been

There's a road
We've been travelin'
Lost so many on the way
But the riches
Will be plenty
Worth the price we
Had to pay

There's a dream
In the future
There's a struggle
We have yet to win
And there's pride
In my heart
'Cause I know
Where I'm going
And I know where I've been



Police barriers ensure no traffic on Broadway  Posted by Picasa


Video screen displays performers onstage Posted by Picasa


Confetti released during the finale Posted by Picasa

  • Broadway on Broadway

  • Playbill on Broadway on Broadway

  • Broadway World

  • Avenue Q

  • Beauty and The Beast

  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

  • The Color Purple

  • Hairspray

  • The Lion King

  • Mamma Mia!

  • Sweet Charity

  • Wicked

  • Darlene Love
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home